Monday, April 7, 2008

Ol' Glory


Today I found myself working in Toano Va. It's a small town in between Williamsburg and Richmond. All the big attractions and major employers are in the cities lying miles from the small town. There are however alot of mom and pop kind of shops along the 2 lane road that runs right through town.


Its really one of those laid back kind of places that you don't give a second thought to as you drive right past while doing 80 mph down the interstate. Its one of those towns that still has pride in themselves.



I stopped at a small store there to grab a drink for the ride home. I was greeted by a elderly lady as I entered. She spoke quietly and slowly, reminding you once again that you were in a laid back kinda town where time moves at its own pace. I grabbed my drink and made my way to the register where she had some small American flags for sale. They were in a old pickle jar on the counter. I couldn't help but notice that there were only 3 flags left in the jar.


I was curious to know and just had to ask, if those small flags were a hot seller. She smiled and spoke again. "Sweetie, after 9/11 I couldn't get them in here fast enough. Now... no one cares any more. Its like they lost all respect for America now adays."

It got me thinking on the ride home. We don't need a national holiday or some catastrophic event in America to make us all remember how proud we are to be Americans. Just look deep in your heart and you Will find it again.

As I pulled up in front of my house I couldn't help but notice our flag, flying from the porch just the way it has been for the past few months. I took a picture of it just to share with everyone and hopefully inspire a little patriotism in you all.

No comments: